support has been added at the request of
University for use in computer science classes. The
ASSIST support is enabled using the new option ASSIST which allows
assembly and execution of all the z/Architecture problem state
instructions including the new z10 instructions plus the following ASSIST instructions:
- z390 ASSIST instructions
- XDECI RX X'53rxbddd' r1.s2 convert decimal to
- Start scan for next decimal number at s2 skipping
- Convert decimal number to binary in r1 until non
decimal character found
- Set register 1 to address of the last non decimal
- Set condition code 0 if number converted successfully
else set condition code 3
- XDECO RX X'52rxbddd' r1,s2 convert binary to decimal
- Convert binary 32 bit r1 value to right justified 12
character decimal field at s2
- XDUMP RXSS X'E06xbdddbddd' s1(x1),s2 - dump registers
- If no operands are specified, dump registers and the
default storage area
- If no XLIMD instruction has reset default storage dump
area, dump all storage
- if s1(x1) address of storage area and s2 length of area
are specified just dump that area
- XGET RXSS X'E0Axbdddbddd' s1(x1),s2 read
record from ASCII file DDNAME=XGET into area s1(x1) with length
- XHEXI RX X'61' r1,s2 convert hex to binary
(cc3 if no hex, update field addr)
- XHEXO RX X'62' r1,s2 convert binary to hex (12 bytes,
update field addr)
- XLIMD RXSS X'E08xrbdddbddd' s1(x1),s2 set default XDUMP
storage area address and length
- XPNCH RXSS X'E04xbdddbddd' s1(x1),s2 write to DDNAME=XPNCH with
- XPRNT RXSS X'E02xbdddbddd' s1(x1),s2 write to DDNAME=XPRNT with
- XPUT RXSS X'E0Cxbdddbddd' s1(x1),s2 write to DDNAME=XPUT
for length s2
- XREAD RXSS X'E00xbdddbddd' s1(x1),s2 read record from DDNAME=XREAD
for length s2
- z390 ASSIST command can be used to assemble, link, and execute
- Use the command ASSIST filename where filename is the
base name of any mainframe assembler source program with file
type MLC to assemble, link, and execute the program on Windows
XP/Vista or Linux system using z390 GUI or command line
interface. This command sets the ASSIST option and
defines the following environment variables for input and output
ASCII text files:
- All of the above files are optional and will be opened on
first access and closed at end of execution or end of file.
All files are ASCII with automatic conversion from or to EBCDIC.
ASCII file records have trailing spaces removed and end with
carriage return x'0d' and line feed x'0a'. On input fields
are padded with EBCDIC spaces x'40'. Non ASCII output
bytes are converted to periods.
- If a file operation is successful the condition code is
set to 0 for XREAD, XGET, and XPUT.
- XPRNT and XPNCH do not set condition code.
- At end of file for XREAD or XGET, the condition code 1 is
- If a file error occurs on XREAD, XPRNT, XPNCH, the
program aborts with abend code S013.
- If a file open error occurs, program terminates with S013
abend with error message showing the file specification which
- If any other error occurs on XGET or XPUT such as missing
length, condition code 2 is set.
- Starting with z390 v1.4.01a the following additional
changes have been made for ASSIST use:
- The ASSIST option changes new option LOADHIGH to
NOLOADHIGH which then casues programs to start loading at
X'10000' instead of high end of memory.
- Registers are initialized to X'F4', memory above the PSA is initialized to X'F5',
and uninialized areas of 390 load modules are initialized to
X'F6' (new in z390 PTF v1403d). Use NOINIT override to
revert to setting all these areas to X'00'.
- A trace table is used to display the last 10 instructions
prior to abnormal termination of a program when the TRACE option
- The PSW displayed at abnormal termination includes ILC,
CC, MASK, and AMODE.
- Example commands:
- ASSIST assist\DEMOAST1 - assemble, link, and execute new
ASSIST demo program which uses the ASSIST XDECO and XPRNT
instructions to print prime numbers to 100. See the
- assist\DEMOAST1.MLC - source program
- assist\DEMOAST1.PRN - generated assembly listing
- assist\DEMOAST1.LOG - generated output log including all
- assist\DEMOAST1.XPR - generated output file with all XPRNT
- ASSIST assist\TESTAST1 - assemble, link, and execute new
ASSIST regression test named TESTAST1.MLC in the assist
After the command completes, the following files are available
- assist\TESTAST1.MLC - source assembler program with ASSIST
- assist\TESTAST1.ERR - error log with start/stop messages
plus any error messages
- assist\TESTAST1.PRN - assembly listing
- assist\TESTAST1.LST - linker listing
- assist\TESTAST1.LOG - execution log with XPRNT and XDUMP
- assist\TESTAST1.XRD - XREAD test input file
- assist\TESTAST1.XPR - XPRNT output file
- assist\TESTAST1.XPH - XPNCH output file
- assist\TESTAST1.XGT - XGET test input file
- assist\TEST\AST1.XPT - XPUT output file
- ASSIST assist\TESTAST1 TRACE - add the TRACE option to
generate TESTAST1.TRE output file with XPRNT, XDUMP, plus
instruction trace for use in debugging.
- ASSIST assist\TESTAST1 TEST - add the TEST option to
start interactive test execution of the program with prompts for
test commands which support tracing one or more instructions,
dumping and/or changing registers and memory, etc. Type H
for help list of test commands.
- Installation of z390 with ASSIST:
- Uninstall any versions of z390 prior to v1.4.01 and
delete the install directory z390.
- Uninstall any versions of J2SE prior to 1.6.0
- Download and install latest update for J2SE 1.6
- Download and install z390 v1.4.01 for Windows or Linux
- Download and install z390 cumulative PTF fixes v1.4.01
- Double click z390 desktop icon to start GUI interface
- Enter command ASSIST assist\TESTAST1 to run the ASSIST
- Enter edit assist\TESTAST1.LOG to view output log.
- Enter command ASSIST assist\DEMOAST1 to run the ASSIST
demo to print primes to 100.